ABOUT ME: THE POETRY GROUPIE

Garra Ballinger AKA Poetry Groupie
Hello everyone and welcome to Poetry Rocks! I have spent the past 10 years teaching grades 2-4 and have loved every single second of it. Somwhere along the journey I got the courage to take an even bigger leap into my final destination: becoming a librarian. I love all books, all children, and all learning! This blog will serve as a learning tool through my journey in Poetry For Children!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sidman Poetry: Review # 13

This Is Just To Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness


Sidman, Joyce. This Is Just To Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2007.

Critical Analysis:
I can see why Joyce Sidman took this unique collection of poems and turned them into a collection; it entails powerful,thematic materials and elements  that adolescents all around the world can relate to.  This book is such a thoughtful and whimsical collection of apologetic poems written by a class of sixth grade class of students.  I found each and every poem in this collection to portray raw emotion as well as honesty and integrity.  The collection itself began as ordinary “sorry” poems, but after much revising and consideration on making the poems into a book, the class decided to write a second part which gives responses to the apologies, and on most occassions offers forgiveness.  The themes of the actual apologies are as diverse as the poetic forms represented in the collection.  There are zany poems devoted to saying sorry for accidents playing dodge ball as well as more serious selections which focus on the loss of a pet.  Mrs. Mertz taught her class poetry of all kinds, and she taught them well, as witnessesd in the free verse, rhymes, haikus, and pantoums found within this collection.  This Is Just To Say represents an emotional situation in which anyone, young or old can relate too, as we have all done something in our lives that requires an apology.  The apology itself can either make or break the relationship of the parties involved, and this collection justifies why apologizing is the right thing to do, even when it may seem impossible.  The ultimate goal of an apology is forgiveness and the connection between the two is portayed so dynamically in this collection.

POEM SPOTLIGHT

Next Time

To my Dad

You went away and left me.

It’s not the first time.

 The first time you left because I cried too much:

                screaming baby, waah, waah!

The second time, it was because I messed up at school:

                your daughter is “acting out.”

The third time, I came home early and saw…

                Well, Forget it, you told me, so I did.

 You see, I’m keeping track.

What did I do this time?

Is it the way I‘m dressing these days,

or the way I laugh too loud?

Whatever it is.

I can fix it.
 

Please, please come back.

Don’t leave me spinning alone,

Like a slow, sad tonado.

 I’m sorry Daddy.

 Next time I’ll be

Perfect.

By: Jewel
Joyce Sidman

Analysis:
As I read this collection I smiled, I laughed, I thought of times when I had done something similar to one of the students in the class.  But, the poem that really caught my attention was one that literally brought tears to my eyes.  In Next Time, Jewel writes from her heart, and the emotions brought on by the routine coming and going of her father are contagious.  This poem evoked an overwhelming sadness in me, much like the simile that Jewel herself uses, “Don’t leave me spinning alone, like a slow, sad tornado.”  As a teacher, I have witnessed firsthand how divorce and unsettling matters at home can affect children emotionally and academically.  This poem as hopeless as it may have seemed, is an inspiration and makes the reader hopeful that Jewel will make it through her struggles.  The honesty in the stanzas is clear and confident, and students will relate to Jewel on a whole new level.  This poem serves readers of all ages, as they consider the fact that Jewel herself felt like she needed to apologize, when in all reality she never did anything wrong.  In the part two response to Jewel’s poem, her dad wrote her back, and from his letter Jewel found the courage to write another poem this time both to and from her dad.  As goose bumps rose over my entire body the raw emotion, and gut wrenching pain that her father must have felt sunk in.  These poems represent honest to goodness life as it is, without the roses!  The reader is left with a postive feeling as Jewel herself once again inspires readers with the hope that things will get better.  This poem represents what forgiveness is all about.

Classroom Connections:
This entire collection of poems would be a great asset to any character education program a school offers to students.  This Is Just To Say evokes emotions and feelings that readers of all ages can and will want to read and relate to.  Sidman provides readers with a great connection in the foreword of the book, “ “So…..What sort of apology poem would you write?”  I think that after sharing this book in its entirety or in single selections, students could benefit from writing their own apologetic poem.  Whether in the form of a consequence or for a class book like the one Mrs. Mertz compiled, the thematic approach of apologetic poems is one that will benefit many people, those doing the writing, as well as those who receive the apology.  Students will see firsthand the power behind a meaningful apology as they witness a personal relationship mended in forgiveness.

In the poem Next Time readers experience the pain and suffering a young girl feels after her father leaves again and again.  This poem is such a special topic, but one that teachers and counselors could use when students are struggling with the same trying situations.  Jewel’s poem is a perfect example of how writing about your feelings can help a person to heal and to forgive.  With divorce rates on the rise this poem could help the healing process as students realize they are not alone, and that no matter what nothing is too much to handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment